Air Port : Bandaranaike International Airport(CMB) Capital city : Colombo Currency : Sri Lankan rupee(LKR) Find flight : Google Flights
Sri Lanka is the most attractive island country in South Asia, located southwest of the Bay of Bengal and southeast of the Arabian Sea in the Indian Ocean. This location is handy for all types of Philosophers, travelers, and business people. This country was called “Ceylon” and “Pearl of the Indian Ocean” long ago. These names are taken mainly according to the island’s pearl shape and Sri Lanka’s cultural and natural values. Sri Lanka has a rich biodiversity, cultural treasures, dream beaches, historical ayurvedic Medicine, hearty cooking, and real treasures with pearls, gold, and gemstones. One time Explorer Marco Polo said Sri Lanka was the most beautiful island he had ever seen.
Colombo is the central city, and Sri Lanka’s main official languages are “Sinhala” and “Tamil.” As well as, “English” is most friendly with people for connectivity and all types of work. Sri Lanka is a tiny island, although it has groups of climate conditions, and you can reach any climate of your choice after a few hours. According to weather and natural factors, this country can visit to gain an unforgettable experience in your life. You can find a lot of visiting, relaxing, hiking, camping, and diving spots in this country. This is a natural paradise for life enjoying people. You can gain real entertainment at a minimum cost in this country. If you want to find the right places to visit, background knowledge, culture, foods, rules, and weather conditions are most helpful to you before your Sri Lankan journey.
- Why Sri Lanka
- 12 Best Visiting & Relaxing Places in Sri Lanka
- Safe Travel Tips and Cultural Rules in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan Foods
- Sri Lanka Central City Colombo
- Best Tourist Activities in Sri Lanka
- Best Time and Best Month to Visit Sri Lanka
- Best Weather to Visit & Relax in Sri Lanka
Why Sri Lanka
- Ranked as the top country for travel in 2019 by Lonely Planet.
- Buddhism’s most important pilgrimage site, the “Temple of tooth relic,” is located in Kandy.
- The oldest tree(Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi) planted by humans is located in the Anuradhapura sacred city, an offshoot of the tree under which the Buddha once attained enlightenment.
- World-famous Adam’s Peak is located in central Sri Lanka.
- World Heritage sites nominated by UNESCO.
- The world’s second-largest natural harbor is located in Trincomalee.
- You can see both the largest land animal (elephant) and the largest marine animal(blue whale) on the same day.
- One of the most spectacular train rides in the world (Kandy to Badulla)
- World historical monastic hospital system founded in Polonnaruwa.
- One of the biggest ancient stone books was founded in Polonnaruwa.
- World historical Kandasamy Kovil(Koneswaram) in Trincomalee.
- One of the largest leopard populations in Yala National Park.
- One of the largest cinnamon suppliers in the world.
- One of the largest tea exporters in the world.
- World-first Prime Minister Woman in power “Sirimavo Bandaranaike.”
- Won Cricket world cup in 1996.
- Pearl of the Indian Ocean.
Safe Travel Tips and Cultural Rules in Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan culture is mainly established with Buddhism. As well Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, and other religions contribute by small percentages. If you can study these religions before your arrival, it will be supported to an understandable and Impress journey.
- When you travel to Sri Lankan sacred places, don’t forget to wear a white and full cover dress.
- Selfies taking opposite Buddha statues are prohibited.
- Buddha tattoos are not acceptable to be shown in public.
- Do not forget to convert your money to Sri Lankan Rupees.
- Pork meals can not get from Islam food shops.
- Do not disrespect religion.
- When visiting a temple, remove your shoes.
- Avoid drinking tap water.
- When boarding a ‘three-wheeler’ (tuk-tuk), be sure to inquire about the presence of a meter and verify that it is turned on and operational.
- Do not forget to bring insect repellant if you are going jungle camping.
Suggested Trailoka: 12 Best visiting & relaxing places in Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan Foods
This has many varieties of food collections that are Spicy, cool, sweet, and healthy. Sri Lanka is more famous for traditional, spicy, black pepper, and Kochchi foods. Also, a lot of medicinal food is popular in Sri Lanka. This country has and most popular historical foods for any disease. Mostly Sri Lankan Ayurvedic Medicine is combined with food types. Some of the food here is mixed of Indian origin. Do not forget to collect traditional and spicy food tastes for your journey memories.
Sri Lanka Central City Colombo
Colombo is a metropolitan city in Sri Lanka, and you must visit these places for all types of needs. There is a tremendous difference between Colombo and the rest of Sri Lanka. Here you can find the best high-end restaurants and cafes on the island, perfect for when you’ve been traveling the road for a long time and in the mood for an exquisite culinary experience ranging from local to international cuisine like Japanese, Italian, Korean, and more or maybe you want to hit up some of the local’s favorite cafes or shop for all your tech fashion and other needs it’s the perfect place to enjoy the more modern amenities that you might have missed out on while traveling the more rural parts of the island it’s also a great place to snoop out some fantastic street food and real, local experiences of the city folk of Sri Lanka. If you plan to buy some electronic items and other accessories, this is the best city. Do not forget to exchange your money from this city and plan your country visit from this.
Best Tourist Activities in Sri Lanka
- Scuba Diving and Snorkeling
- Best Hiking (Duwili Ella, Meemure, and Lakegala)
- Flying Ravana mega zipline
- Hot Air Balloon Dambulla
- Water Rafting in kitulgala
- Surfing in Hikkaduwa, Unawatuna, Weligama, Mirissa, Arugam Bay and Ahangama
- Whale Watching in Mirissa and Trincomalee
- Dolphin Watching in kalpitiya
- Sigiriya and Pidurangala Rock
- National Parks
- Horton Plains
- Gal Oya Valley
- Maduru Oya
- Birds Park Hambantota
- Ridiyagama Safari Park
- Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage and Zoo
- Visit Ella
- Brief Garden, by Bevis Bawa
- Lunuganga Geoffrey Bawa’s Country Estate
- Botanical Gardens
- Peradeniya Botanical Garden
- Hakgala Botanical Garden
- Seethawaka Wet Zone Botanic Gardens
- Gampaha Botanical Garden
- Dry Zone Botanic Gardens Hambantota
- Mirijjawila Botanical Gardens
Cultural Activities in Sri Lanka
- Kandy Esala Perahera
- Visit Sri Pada / Adam’s Peak
- Visit History in Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa and Ritigala
- Visit Aboriginals in Mahiyanganaya
Best Time and Best Month to Visit Sri Lanka
Generally, the months of December through April offer the best weather in the western and southern regions of Sri Lanka, while the months of May through October are ideal for a trip to the island’s eastern coastline.
December, January & February
Fit any places except the Northeastern in Sri Lanka
- Southern sites and beaches
- Yala National Park
- Adam’s Peak(Sri Pada) – Starts season Duruthu full moon December
March & April
Best time to visit All over Sri Lanka
May, June, July, August & September
Fit any place except Southwestern Sri Lanka
- East coast sites and beaches
- Arugam Bay
- Habarana & Kaudulla National park
- Wilpattu National Park
- Kandy Esala Perahera(Sri Dalada Perahera / The Festival of Tooth) August
October & November
No specific places were selected according to this time. The whole Island is wettest this month. This is not a bad time for real travelers because they enjoy their travel in any weather conditions.
Travel Guide to Visit Sri Lanka
Must-visit Places in Sri Lanka (Useful Links)
Take only memories, leave only Footprints